We know exclusive breastfeeding for six months is what babies need, yet only one third of moms leaving the hospital with this goal actually succeed. While there are lots of different reasons why moms stop breastfeeding, lack of support is the leading cause.
Here are 5 things you can do NOW to show your support (shirt and flare are optional!):
- Be inspired. One of the best ways to fuel your support is to remember how innate and instinctual the first breastfeeding is. Newborns are capable of seeking out and crawling to the breast minutes after birth – hence the term ‘the breast crawl’ but women can nourish and grow their babies for six months without needing any other nutrition.
- Make yourself available. Reach out to your breastfeeding friends and let them know they have your support. Tell them if they need anything or have any questions, you’re just a phone call away. While your BF-ing friend is busy nourishing her baby, help feed her and the rest of her family by bringing a dinner (or two). Stop by to walk the dog, run an errand or grab the baby for a bit and give her a break.
- Normalize Breastfeeding in Public. Next time you see a mom nursing in public, acknowledge her in some way. Grab her a water or drop her a note that says you are proud of her. A smile and thanks for nursing as you pass could be the pat on the back she needs.
- Celebrate your own experience. Post a picture of your breastfed baby on our Facebook Page. Whether you are nursing now or 20 years ago, put your beautiful breastfed baby out there for all moms to see.
- Donate to the cause. Best for Babes and Breastfeeding USA Present: Team We’ve Got Your Back, Babe! The first nationwide fitness challenge that backs breastfeeding. Sponsor The Milky Way Movie, a documentary that aims to elevate the breastfeeding mom to a place in society where she receives all the necessary support to successfully nurse her child.